Best Classical Guitar Pickup – Our Top 5 Guitar Pickups of 2019
A guitar pickup is a device used to convert an instrument’s vibrations into electrical signals. This allows the music to play on a loudspeaker or get recorded into music-making software.
If you are looking to buy a guitar pickup, Amazon is a suitable platform to use to find the correct model. As the guitar pickup is a useful tool, there are many options for purchasing on Amazon.
This article aims to compare some of the best acoustic guitar pickups, by highlighting the different properties of each and discuss their advantages and disadvantages.
Classical Guitar Pickup Buying Guide
Have you been thinking about adding a guitar pickup to your set, but can’t seem to sort through the plethora of options? Fear not, because you are about to learn everything you need to know to make the right buy.
After reading this, you will not only have more than enough information on guitar pickups, you’ll know exactly which one to buy. In this article, we are going to provide you with our top five guitar pickup recommendations of 2019. We’ll talk about the different styles, application methods, locations, and notable qualities of each product.
Types of Classical Guitar Pickups
For some of our readers who are beginners in the world of guitars and by extension, pickups, let’s explain a few types of pickups here.
The first is that pickups can be installed in different areas of the guitar. For example, a sound-hole pickup is one that is installed inside the circular hole of the guitar, usually around the edges. This way, the pickup gets up close and personal with the vibrations and also stays pretty hidden from view.
Another method of pickup installation is to attach the transducer to the back side of the bridge plate of the guitar. This way, the pickup is also out of sight. This is a more permanent way of using a pickup, so it’s probably not the best choice if you have many guitars that you want to use it with.
The third method is to stick the pickup to the front of the body of the guitar. This allows for easy access, but it’s also easily visible. It might be necessary to use oil to remove the pickup once you stick it on your guitar, so this is also a better choice for permanent installations. Now that you understand the different options for where to put your pickup, you can have a better idea of which one is right for you.
Other Features of a Classical Guitar Pickup
Another feature to keep in mind is the look of your pickup. As they come in different colors, we recommend that you choose one that matches well with the style of your guitar. For example, if you like the wood finish of your guitar, perhaps you should choose a pickup that has a wooden exterior, to complement the style. Generally, most pickups have black exteriors.
Something else that we will discuss when looking at these Amazon products is the particular parts that come with the pickup. Some of the products are designed with high quality microphones that will pick up more sound, and others aren’t. Some come with cables, and others don’t require you to connect to an outside source.
You should also think about whether or not you want your pickup to be battery powered. If this doesn’t sound like a good idea, you can choose one of the options that doesn’t need batteries.
Furthermore, some pickups come with extras, like a tuner. Pay attention to what is included in each of the products to get the most out of your purchase.
In choosing from these pickups, you really can’t go wrong. Every one of these products delivers high-quality conversions for your guitar. We simply want to make sure you know the details of each item so well that you discover exactly which one is right for you. Happy shopping!
Best Classical Guitar Pickup
Product #1 – K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup
The K&K Pure Mini Acoustic Guitar Pickup is definitely one of the best acoustic guitar pickups. This version is the most compact, and its futuristic design gives it an appealing look. The model works through three mini transducers, which are programmed to pick up specific string pairs, while listening to the others at the same time. The result is a full range signal.
Within this product’s acoustic guitar pickup reviews, there are several comments its truest tone and amazing clarity. The average of all customer reviews is a 4.8 out of 5 stars.
- One of the advantages of the K&K Pure Mini is that it does not require a battery or extra electronics.
- The transducers are attached to the open sound board, rather than the traditional method of placing them on the bridge. This results in stronger, more refined signals.
- Since the three mini transducers are each programmed to listen to specific strings as well as to the unified sound, this product delivers all of the strings in a well-balanced manner, which is a desired quality for pickups.
- Additionally, the purchase includes free Amazon tech support, should you have any issues with installation or functions.
- Aside from the triple transducer design, the most unique feature of the K&K Pure Mini is that the transducers are attached to the bridge plate inside the guitar by a gel super glue that is included with the purchase.
- This could be a problem for those who value easy removal.
If you don’t want a pickup that is detachable, this one is a great choice, and it’s highly recommended by customers.
Product #2 – L.R. Baggs ANTHEM-SL Acoustic Guitar Pickup
This L.R. Baggs pickup is a device from Anthem, an award winning series that combines a TRU MIC microphone with an acclaimed Element pickup. This model is small and hardly visible, since it is set within the soundhole.
This product is positioned from the underside of the bridge plate so that the pickup hovers a bit under the surface (3mm to be exact), and the device can read the PZM sound phenomena referred to as the boundary effect. As a result, the sounds are clear and natural.
The distinct technology in this L.R. Baggs pickup makes it one of the best acoustic guitar pickups that you can find.
- In this pickup, L.R. Baggs employs a microphone they developed that is so innovative that it is patent pending. The TRU MIC is a proprietary condenser microphone that provides a dynamic sound.
- Thanks to this unique feature, it is no wonder that customers are in awe of the authenticity of the sound that this pickup delivers.
- By combining the Element pickup with a very efficient microphone, the two refined tools perform at studio quality, meaning that the interior microphone works to capture the vibrations as if it were an exterior microphone picking up the sounds from a studio set-up. What more could you ask for? –
- Furthermore, this product is easy to install and includes noise cancellation. If you are concerned about your pickup catching outside noises, this would be a great purchase.
- Some customers have reported having trouble finding a cable that works well with this pickup.
If you don’t want to worry about cables, perhaps you should choose one of the wireless models.
Product #3 – Luvay Acoustic Guitar Pickup
The Luvay Acoustic Guitar Pickup is functional choice. This model uses a small circular transducer that attaches to the body of the guitar. It is the most outwardly visible model, but it’s also pretty simplistic, and it works on all types of strings, including nylon.
This product doesn’t require batteries and is highly-feedback resistant.
All you have to do is stick it on and adjust the volume as needed. Customers appreciate that despite its simplicity, the quality of the sound is superb.
- One of the greatest features of this device is that the installation is super easy; you just need to apply the provided stickers to the area of your choice and attach the pickup.
There is no need to make holes in the instrument and the adhesives are reusable, so the device can be applied more than once.
- Another benefit of choosing this pickup is that there is a control knob on the side of the transducer so that you can easily reach down and adjust the volume.
- The purchase also includes free Amazon tech support in case you run into complications and it comes with a 10 foot long cable.
- Aspects that you might want to consider when choosing this pickup are that the device is visible on the front of the instrument, so it might disrupt the aesthetic of the guitar.
- Also, the cable cannot be attached to smaller bluetooth speakers with wattage less than 10w, so this model is better for larger set-ups.
Product #4 – Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Magnetic Soundhole Acoustic Pickup
The Rare Earth Humbucker pickup stands out because it has been carefully recrafted and refined to produce a smoother treble response than models that came before it. This model uses neodymium magnets, and these Rare Earth magnets are what give this pickup its name.
This cutting edge technology promotes string-to-string balance while the active electronics work to produce a clean sound. The use of these magnets give your music a more natural tone, while maintaining superior accuracy and enhancing musicality.
The pickup is discreetly installed within the soundhole, and it has a minimalistic black form.
- This device is known to produce a pure sound without picking up background noise.
One of the Rare Earth Humbucker’s defining characteristics is that it works well with both strumming and fingerpicking. This can be a great advantage for someone who plays with multiple different strumming techniques.
Furthermore, this pickup is backed by a reputable brand, which can be very helpful for any questions or concerns you may have. Fishman has been selling music technologies for 35 years, and they are known for exceptional customer service.
- If you feel like you might need to contact someone for help or advice with your product, this one’s for you.
- Some factors to consider are that this product requires two flat LR44 batteries and does not have a microphone.
Nonetheless, it includes free Amazon tech support, so if you are looking for a classical guitar soundhole pickup for which there will be plenty of available support, this one is the way to go.
Product #5 – Seymour Duncan SA-3HC Soundhole Pickup
This Seymour Duncan pickup is a great choice for those of you who really love the wood finish of your guitar. It’s designed with a wooden exterior that would blend nicely with the style of the body of your guitar. There are actually multiple colors to choose from to make sure that the one you buy matches the guitar you have.
Upon purchasing this item, you will receive not only the transducer but also a complementary True Tone chromatic tuner.
This tool works to detect and display the pitch of the notes playing on your instrument. This is a really great tool to have, and an awesome bonus to receive with your pickup. The pickup mounts in the soundhole, and can be quickly removed at any time. This product stands out among acoustic guitar pickup reviews, as all of its ratings have been five stars.
- The wooden design gives the product a nice look, and it is available in maple, black or walnut housings stains.
- The device is installed instantly and has hum-cancelling technology to provide you with a warm, full acoustic tone.
- It works noiselessly but the sounds that it delivers through conversion are rich.
- It also comes with a 14 foot cable so that it can be plugged into an amplifier, and it performs well on any steel string guitar.
- Still, it’s important to note that this item is magnetic, which is very functional, but does not work with nylon stringed instruments, so it could possibly not be compatible as a classical guitar soundhole pickup.
On a Final Note…
Each of these refined products are some of the best acoustic guitar pickups on the market, so the choice you make largely depends on your personal style preference. In the descriptions of the products, you’ve seen many unique components that combine to provide you with these great offers.
Within this article, we’ve looked at models that require batteries, and others that don’t. We’ve seen some that work for all string types and some that aren’t compatible with nylon strings. There are various installation methods offered, so it’s up to you whether you want to display your pickup on the front of the guitar or conceal it within the instrument.
Ultimately, the right pickup for you is the one that matches your style and your needs. No matter which one you pick from the list, it’s certain that you’ll be converting raw sounds into high quality electrical material in no time.