When the Klon Centaur was released in 1994, it became the first “transparent” overdrive pedal on the market. Finally, guitarists had a pedal that could give you far more out of your set up without adding its own color or quirks to the sound. The style was groundbreaking when it came out, with each individual pedal built and tested by hand by the designer, Bill Finnegan
Other businesses have taken Finnegan’s original design giving today’s guitarists less expensive choices to select from. Below are our recommendations for the best klon clone.
As the title suggests, this KLONE is a direct emulation of the original Klon Centaur effects pedal, meaning that it operates in an identical way, as well as looks, feels and sounds. This pedal has the ability to run from a main DC power cable or using a 9V battery,
Just like the original Centaurs, the Klone has 3 control knobs: gain (to determine the amount of distortion), treble (to change the frequency), and paper (for effect volume).
It sounds fantastic paired with some other effects, especially delay and distortion pedals, and it is able to run off of either AC or battery power.
- Suitable for all kinds of guitar
- Perfect for adding distortion if you’re using a tube amp
- Works with both batteries and DC power cables
- Clean boost and outstanding overdrive sounds
J Rockett Audio Designs Archer Tour Series
Within this model, you’ll be able to enjoy a clean boost setting and a powerful overdrive setting, all manageable from the dials at the top of the device. All of these features are stored within the robust metal design which also makes this pedal ideal for taking with you on tour and up on stage.
You can turn your pedal effects on and off while you’re playing using the solderless foot switch, which minimizes the risk of breaking while you’re slamming your foot down on it. This feature is also known as the Speed Switch System. This ensures you have full control over your overdrive effects, so you can create the sounds you want to create.
With the gain control off, you find the wide open tone of the original Klon. The more you turn it up, the more grit you will get in balance to the clean overdrive – a great deal of tone colors to play with for one pedal. This should be on anyone’s list of the very best Klon Centaur clones.
- All inputs/outputs are located at the top of the pedal for easy access and positioning
- Durable metal design that’s built to last
- Can run off battery or DC power cable
- Speed Switch system for ultimate control over your sound.
Caline CP-43 Pegasus
When you are searching for an affordable overdrive pedal that accurately replicates that Klon Centaur sound, the Caline CP 43 is a great choice that will not let you down. This’s a mid range pedal remains at a cheap price, ensuring that it is ideal for a musician of any skill level or perhaps budget.
At the center of the device, you will look for a pedal that sounds basically the same to original Klon Centaur. This particular design is based on the first Golden Professional edition of this beautiful effects pedal, and actually sounds like a vintage styled overdrive effective, mixed with the capability to shape your modern tones.
Using the Tone dial, you will be in a position to add in as much or perhaps as little vintage shaping as you like, helping you to search for the actual sound you are searching for.
This pedal also includes a True Bypass design, the same as most Joyo pedals, to ensure your sound is clean and crisp while on its way to the amp of yours, along with providing you with complete control over if you use the effects of yours!
- Beautiful aesthetic that you’ll love
- Vintage to modern sounding tone control
- True Bypass filter design with integrated foot switch
- Ideal Klon Centaur clone
JHS Electro Harmonix Soul Food “Meat & 3” Mod
At under half the price of the original Centaurs, the Soul Food is a great value that accurately re creates the general tone and feel of that much revered pedal but enhances the circuitry to give you more headroom and better definition.
While the Soul Food is a superb pedal in the own right of its, the mod added by JHS gives you another three way clipping toggle and bass contour knob to shape the tone of yours the same as you can on the original. Needless to say, additionally, it still has the drive and treble controls standard on all Soul Food pedals, along with a switchable true or perhaps buffered bypass. It is among top Klon Centaur clones period.
- 3-way clipping toggle gives you stock EHX clipping, open clipping, and true Klon-style germanium clippingAdded bass contour “Meat” knobVolume, Treble and Drive controls
- JHS adds a 3-way clipping toggle that gives you stock EHX clipping, open clipping, and added true Klon style germanium clipping, which isn’t present in the stock Soul Food pedal
- Lastly, they also added a bass contour “Meat” knob to really make this pedal a tone shaping tool
- These modifications retain the integrity of the original Klon tones, while giving you a few extra tone shaping abilities
Wampler Tumnus Overdrive
Wampler is quieter about being a Klon clone than several of other types on the market, but this pedal is a faithful reproduction of the Centaur sound – packed into a small casing that is much less than half the size of the original Klon pedal. Just like the original, it’s a buffered bypass and an easy three knob interface.
Turning up the gain is able to take you starting from a really clear boost to a smooth singing tone to a crunchy overdrive, all while bringing out the very best of your amp’s tone.
It adds richness to the sound of yours, it also works great stacked with some other fuzz or perhaps distortion pedals for a really unique overdrive.
- Designed to be a versatile addition to any setup, any style
- Use with other pedals to shape the total gain, as a stand alone overdrive, or as a slightly dirty boost to push the front end of your amp
- Can even be used as a buffer because this pedal is not true bypass
- This pedal contains a buffered bypass tone legendary in its own right
- The streamlined 3 control knobs (Volume, Gain, and Tone) allow you to quickly dial in your tones no matter what the gig calls for
- Slim, compact design ensures that this pedal will fit anywhere on your board setup
Any of the clone pedals we’ve listed above make the ideal choice; it simply depends on the features you want, the design you’re after, and your budget!